Commission a Painting
Personalize your home with artwork that's meaningful
and made just for you.
Choose the exact size that fits your wall.
I offer two types of commissions:
A limited number of commissions are accepted
Currently accepting applications for Oct 2022 start dates.
Email me... (or scroll down to apply)
Each painting is created with care
I use professional acrylics on gallery wrapped canvas (1.5" depth)
and finish with varnish to last a lifetime.
East Coast Memory
For this piece, "Peggy's Cove Lighthouse", my collector asked for a lighthouse that you'd find on the coast of Nova Scotia.
Part of his family is from the area and he has great memories visiting and enjoying the relaxed lifestyle of historic Canada.
What size painting fits your wall?
Here's what I've found to work...
2/3 - 3/4 the width of the furniture. Height of painting is flexible but may be limited with tall furniture. Remember to leave 6-12" space between the furniture and artwork.
Small to medium walls
1/2 - 3/4 the width of the wall. Height is flexible.
Larger paintings are great on walls viewed at a distance. Multiple pieces can be hung - use the painter's tape method (below) to see what appeals to you. Small to medium sized paintings are better on walls viewed up close such as narrow hallways.
Go bigger than you think
It's easy to under estimate what can comfortably fit. Paintings that are too small can create a slightly barren look. Try going a little larger than you think - use the painter's tape method below.
Test the size on your wall with
Here's the steps:
- Measure out the size of painting with a tape measure and tape an outline on your wall. Use blue or green painter's tape so it's easy to peel off. Try to make the middle of the painting eye level (over tall furniture use 6-12" between painting and furniture).
- Stand back and see how it looks. (you could add kraft or wrapping paper to fill the space for easier visualizing)
- Too big? Too small? Move the tape to where the size feels right. Leave the room for awhile and see how it feels when you walk back in with fresh eyes.
- Measure final width and height and use that for your custom commission.
- Remove the tape!
Loving the outdoors
This piece was custom made for my client's lake home. They describe their inspiration for the painting:
"We are lovers of nature and enjoy going for hikes and anything outdoors. The photograph Theresa used, was taken when we were walking to view a waterfall. This piece for us, shows the power, the essence and positive effect trees and nature have on our spirit and wellbeing.
We love how she captured the sun shining down through these huge cedar trees, the colors bring vibrancy into our space which gives an uplifting feeling. It reminds us the importance to enjoy this adventure called life and how lucky we are to live amongst these powerful beings."
~ Shannon & Curtis
Prices are in Canadian dollars.
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to begin commission. The balance of 50% plus shipping is due upon completion and approval of final painting.
Artwork is shipped from Canada. A shipping estimate can be provided ahead of time. International clients are responsible for customs/fees that may apply in their country (please look up fees for your country)
Size / Price (CAD)*
48x60" / $5450
24x36" / $2050
30x60" / $3850
18x36" / $1650
36x48" / $3850
24x24" / $1550
36x36" / $2750
18x24" / $1350
30x40" / $2550
16x20" / $1150
30x30" / $2150
12x12" / $575
(*other sizes available / prices may change without notice)
Music and lake life
This one started with photos that my collector's partner had taken of his guitar by the lake. He was retiring from teaching music and his family and friends wanted to get him a special gift. After a sketch and a few emails, this is what emerged.
He was teary when he opened it... or in his words "must have been some plant pollen in my eyes".
Ready to commission
Complete this application form and I'll be in touch...
How it works
- After submitting the form, I'll send an email on next steps and available start dates. Details are discussed until I feel I have a clear idea of your vision for the artwork, with an option to connect through video chat, phone or email.
- Sign artwork agreement & pay 50% deposit (payable by Paypal or credit card). Due to the individuality of commissions, the deposit is non-refundable.
- Painting begins and is completed within 4-6 weeks. Preliminary sketch or paint study will be emailed for approval before beginning large pieces.
- Painting is completed - I send photos and you give final approval or minor edits. Extensive edits (as judged by the artist) are subject to a 15% additional fee.
- Pay 50% balance plus shipping.
- Painting is varnished and ships to you! (or delivered if you're local)